One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not destined to come about.‘everyone wanted a happy ending, but it was not to be’
- ‘She does want to have a child but that's not to be.’
- ‘I sort of hoped we'd be stuck and adopted by another local family but it was not to be.’
- ‘I have always wanted a brother but it was not to be.’
- ‘Hopes had been high that this could be the year for them to stamp their class on the competition but it was not to be.’
- ‘I'm sure Denis would much prefer to be going in to Sunday's match on the back of a win but it was not to be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.