One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be completely impoverished.
- ‘His name was Joseph Jowett, and he had scarcely a penny to bless himself with.’
- ‘Dear Aunt Fan was generous and feckless, a large woman with a heart of gold, never a penny to bless herself with or a feather to fly with.’
- ‘Back at teachers college, when I was just discovering the wonderful world of bows and arrows but barely had a penny to bless myself with, I managed to buy a cheap and nasty, and very old, Hoyt Spectra 3000 compound bow’
- ‘After I got out of jail without a penny to bless myself with, as they say there, one of the girls took me under her wing, but the place she brought me turned out to be - surprise surprise - a whorehouse.’
- ‘Unfortunately, I don't have a penny to bless myself with right now... so I'm asking blighters to step up to the plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.