One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be completely impoverished.
- ‘Unfortunately, I don't have a penny to bless myself with right now... so I'm asking blighters to step up to the plate.’
- ‘After I got out of jail without a penny to bless myself with, as they say there, one of the girls took me under her wing, but the place she brought me turned out to be - surprise surprise - a whorehouse.’
- ‘Dear Aunt Fan was generous and feckless, a large woman with a heart of gold, never a penny to bless herself with or a feather to fly with.’
- ‘Back at teachers college, when I was just discovering the wonderful world of bows and arrows but barely had a penny to bless myself with, I managed to buy a cheap and nasty, and very old, Hoyt Spectra 3000 compound bow’
- ‘His name was Joseph Jowett, and he had scarcely a penny to bless himself with.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.