One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By no means; not at all.‘they weren't beaten yet, not by a long chalk’
by no means, by no manner of means, not at all, in no way, not in the least, not in the slightest, not the least bit, certainly not, absolutely not, definitely not, on no account, under no circumstancesView synonyms
- ‘We didn't manage the lot, not by a long chalk, but we managed this distant outpost.’
- ‘I may have disabilities and problems and troubles and stuff that holds me back, but I'm not done living! Not by a long chalk.’
- ‘It's not the greatest opera ever written, not by a long chalk.’
- ‘‘And,’ added Gilz, because he wasn't finished, not by a long chalk, ‘I bet that one of the tabloids sends a Diana look alike down to the registry office.’’
- ‘Horse racing is not perfect, not by a long chalk, but it has a future which can only get better.’
- ‘USB may be built into almost all PCs that ship today, but that doesn't mean the majority of users are hooking peripherals up to their machines using that bus, not by a long chalk.’
- ‘This is not the worst movie ever made - not by a long chalk.’
- ‘But Kammy's not done it all, not by a long chalk, and he finds this irksome.’
- ‘They are not the world's most emotional sporting enthusiasts, not by a long chalk, but even they can lose perspective.’
- ‘The toughest, not the prettiest, though, not by a long chalk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.