One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be capable of stooping to (an unworthy act)‘he was not above practical jokes’
- ‘It's a controversial portrayal of the great man which isn't above hinting he had a dark side.’
- ‘Republicans, not to mention Democrats, aren't above a well-timed leak to maximize political damage against their opponents.’
- ‘And even more shameful is that I'm not above reverting to the old ways.’
- ‘Of course, Mr. King isn't above a bit of snobbery himself.’
- ‘I just hoped Luke, along with his designer moodiness, wasn't above actually driving there.’
- ‘It is not the policy of this newspaper to select candidates for the election, but I'm not above pointing out some things I've noticed in the past week.’
- ‘He has a sense of humor too, and isn't above mugging for the camera.’
- ‘The farmers aren't above exaggeration - this, after all, is the tradition when officials come from the city.’
- ‘Anyway, she isn't above such comments herself.’
- ‘Still, I'm not above pocketing a bottle of Coke on my way out, so long as I'm not being sneaky about it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.