One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Definitely not.‘‘You don't mind?’ ‘Not at all.’’
not at all, in no way, not in the least, not in the slightest, not the least bit, not by a long shot, certainly not, absolutely not, definitely not, on no account, under no circumstancesView synonyms
- ‘The parents are terrified, their fears not at all eased by being referred to a brain surgeon.’
- ‘In Louisbourg, a few people had flooding problems, but not at all on the scale of other areas.’
- ‘Bearing this in mind, it is not at all surprising that charges of abuse of process gained momentum.’
- ‘The air between them was still hot with passion and their minds were not at all set on school.’
- ‘This is not at all what a government website for the promotion of a nation's tourism should look like.’
- ‘I thrive on this time of year and do not at all mind the darkening of the days.’
- ‘It is not at all what I had expected: but then, most people have no idea what asparagus looks like when it is growing.’
- ‘I do not at all mind if Will somehow finds this out, but I met many a fine young man that afternoon.’
- ‘Except that he was not at all, not even remotely, for a single second, funny.’
- ‘I hasten to add that it is not that we want to pay more for our groceries - not at all.’
2Used as a polite response to thanks.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.