One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large meal.‘the grand nosh-up after the ceremony’
meal, snackView synonyms
- ‘‘I've finished with me nosh-up,’ Ringo said and pushed his plate towards the center of the table.’
- ‘Baits in summer really don't matter too much with big hungry carp swimming around on the prowl for a good nosh-up but in winter I feel the bait, and the baiting up, is probably the most crucial factor to success.’
- ‘We had missed the biggest celebration of Joyce nosh-ups, which had happened the previous Sunday.’
- ‘Anyway - as Fi was out of the country for our traditional nosh-up at my mum's and the usual meal out just before Xmas, we decided to surprise her with another dinner - roast, tatties, Xmas tree, carols, charades, crackers, Xmas pud - the works!’
- ‘Because each year, all the Oscar nominees get together for a giant nosh-up.’
- ‘I went out with Gillian last night for a drink or two, a good ol’ gossip, and a nosh-up at the EAMAYL (Eat As Much As You Like) Chinese restaurant.’
- ‘He has also taken to task the organisers of the Lord Mayor of York's Christmas nosh-up - advertised as being for pensioners.’
- ‘Men may be from Mars and women from Venus but when it comes to the Lord Mayor of York's Christmas nosh-up, both sexes are on an equal footing.’
- ‘Some of the questioners seem to be hung up on the boozy nosh-up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.