One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of Scandinavia, especially of Norway.
- ‘They became known by the French as Northmen or Normans.’
- ‘He held off a force of Northmen with just a single battalion of infantry.’
- ‘We also know you have dealt with the Northmen, therefore the king has stripped you of all titles and passed them to Sir Stars and his family.’
- ‘Tales of the Northmen, Tales of the Russians, and the legends of Siegfried and Dietrich followed.’
- ‘He's gone so far as to recruit entire bands of Northmen.’
Old English (see north, man).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.