One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Towards the north-east; in a north-east direction.‘the troops marched north-eastwards’
- ‘After another gate, continue to a stream before climbing north-eastwards up the steep slopes of Compass Hill, whose iron content plays havoc with the compass.’
- ‘It lay very high upon a turfy down, and looking north-eastward I entered it, I was surprised to see a large estuary, or even creek, where I judged Wandsworth and Battersea must once have been.’
- ‘The Marlstone Rock Bed is a distinctive limestone unit that outcrops from Lyme Regis on the Dorset coast of southern England, north-eastwards to just west of Hull near the North Sea coast.’
- ‘A faint track takes you north-eastwards until the main track which leads back to the car park and refreshments!’
- ‘From this circle an avenue of stones leads north-eastwards towards the river for 88m.’
- ‘Inland, most of the rivers run across the flat, fertile Flanders Plain, north-eastward to The Netherlands.’
- ‘A contemporary Portuguese geographer recorded that Diaz realized ‘that the coast here turned northwards and north-eastwards towards Ethiopia under Egypt and on to the Gulf of Arabia, giving great hope of the discovery of India’.’
- ‘These lows typically track north-eastwards, reaching maximum intensity in the vicinity of the Aleutian Islands in the Pacific Ocean and in the vicinity of Iceland in the Atlantic Ocean.’
Situated in, directed towards, or facing the north-east.‘the north-eastward territorial expansion of the city’
- ‘The day after his address, a report of the select committee recommending a detailed survey of a 119 mile expansion westward from Porus to Montego Bay and north-eastward from Bog Walk to Port Antonio was presented before the council.’
- ‘Next day, Pembroke's Welsh force, having camped separately, was continuing its march when, 6 miles north-eastward, it was unexpectedly overwhelmed at Edgecote by a small force of Warwick's supporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.