One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Towards the north-east; in a north-east direction.‘the troops marched north-eastwards’
- ‘Inland, most of the rivers run across the flat, fertile Flanders Plain, north-eastward to The Netherlands.’
- ‘After another gate, continue to a stream before climbing north-eastwards up the steep slopes of Compass Hill, whose iron content plays havoc with the compass.’
- ‘From this circle an avenue of stones leads north-eastwards towards the river for 88m.’
- ‘These lows typically track north-eastwards, reaching maximum intensity in the vicinity of the Aleutian Islands in the Pacific Ocean and in the vicinity of Iceland in the Atlantic Ocean.’
- ‘It lay very high upon a turfy down, and looking north-eastward I entered it, I was surprised to see a large estuary, or even creek, where I judged Wandsworth and Battersea must once have been.’
- ‘A contemporary Portuguese geographer recorded that Diaz realized ‘that the coast here turned northwards and north-eastwards towards Ethiopia under Egypt and on to the Gulf of Arabia, giving great hope of the discovery of India’.’
- ‘A faint track takes you north-eastwards until the main track which leads back to the car park and refreshments!’
- ‘The Marlstone Rock Bed is a distinctive limestone unit that outcrops from Lyme Regis on the Dorset coast of southern England, north-eastwards to just west of Hull near the North Sea coast.’
Situated in, directed towards, or facing the north-east.‘the north-eastward territorial expansion of the city’
- ‘The day after his address, a report of the select committee recommending a detailed survey of a 119 mile expansion westward from Porus to Montego Bay and north-eastward from Bog Walk to Port Antonio was presented before the council.’
- ‘Next day, Pembroke's Welsh force, having camped separately, was continuing its march when, 6 miles north-eastward, it was unexpectedly overwhelmed at Edgecote by a small force of Warwick's supporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.