One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of various single-stranded RNA viruses including the Norwalk virus and closely related viruses.
Genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae
- ‘Norovirus is the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis in England and Wales.’
- ‘We are testing some samples and suspect it is norovirus, we should get lab confirmation early this week.’
- ‘"Real difficulties are caused when norovirus is introduced to closed environments such as hospitals, residential homes or schools."’
- ‘Nineteen people have submitted stool samples that tested positive for diarrhea-causing agents: Campylobacter (14), norovirus (3), salmonella (1) and Giardia (1).’
- ‘O'Connor noted that the norovirus has many different strains, making it difficult for a person to develop long-lasting immunity to the infection.’
- 1.1mass noun Gastroenteritis caused by a norovirus.‘an outbreak of norovirus aboard the ship infected 350 passengers’
- ‘GPs' surgeries were packed with people suffering with symptoms of the norovirus.’
- ‘We know Norovirus is now quite widespread in the community.’
- ‘Winter vomiting disease, or norovirus, is a brief illness, which usually lasts for one to three days.’
- ‘The winter vomiting bug (also known as Norovirus) exhibits the symptoms of gastrointestinal illness and has affected some 16 patients.’
- ‘The norovirus is highly contagious, affecting up to one million people in the United Kingdom every year.’
Early 21st century: from nor- in Norwalk virus + -o- + virus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.