Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A normal concentration of sugar in the blood (as contrasted with hyper- or hypoglycaemia).
- ‘Under these conditions the liver stops consuming glucose and becomes metabolically gluconeogenic, producing glucose to re-establish normoglycemia.’
- ‘Treatment includes strict plasma glucose control to achieve and maintain normoglycemia and administration of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors to decrease the progress of diabetic nephropathy.’
- ‘Beta cells may secrete high levels of insulin to normalize blood glucose levels and successfully maintain normoglycemia for many years.’
- ‘The goal of intrapartum management is to maintain normoglycemia in an effort to prevent neonatal hypoglycemia.’
- ‘Alpha cells produce glucagon, which maintains normoglycemia through the processes of glycogenolysis (i.e., breakdown of glycogen) and gluconeogenesis (i.e., formation of glycogen from noncarbohydrates such as fats and proteins).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.