One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An edible seaweed eaten either fresh or dried, especially by the Japanese.
- ‘Mix nori into rice and divide mixture into 1 1/2-ounce portions.’
- ‘You may also want to eat iodine-rich foods like kelp, nori, and other seaweeds as often as once a day, and fish and shellfish two or three times a week.’
- ‘Yes, you can roll nori like an ice-cream cone and stuff it with anything from spring onion and eel to salmon roe and soy beans, but try eating it with chopsticks.’
- ‘In Japan, production of wakame has been by far the greatest, kombu and nori in second and third places.’
- ‘Garnish with pickled ginger, nori and sesame seeds to serve.’
- ‘The ‘tomato sushi’ was a skinned raw tomato, seasoned and girdled in nori (the Japanese seaweed) to resemble a maki.’
- ‘To serve, place some rice and dashi broth into a soup bowl and top with some nori, Japanese leeks, and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Boil equal parts nori and kombu with just enough purified water to cover.’
- ‘Carefully turn nori so that rice side is facing down.’
- ‘Served with wasabi and nori, the waitress had some difficulty explaining which was which and had the good sense to ask for help.’
- ‘One good source is nori - the seaweed traditionally used in the preparation of sushi, and widely available in health food stores.’
- ‘If you can't locate the rice paper rounds, nori - the toasted seaweed sheets used for sushi - are a good alternative.’
- ‘The most popular type of seaweed utilized by American sushi chefs is nori, which is classified as red algae, even though it grows purple and appears dark green in its dried form.’
- ‘The Japanese do eat a lot of seaweed - it's estimated that 10 per cent of their diet is composed of it, and most of that by the big three: nori, wakame, and kombu.’
- ‘Six Ceduna Bay oysters were chilling on a bed of ice, topped with a mixture of shaved leek, soy sauce, lemon juice, wasabi and delicately garnished with a thin sheet of nori.’
- ‘Spread a cup of rice on a sheet of nori, leaving about an inch of uncovered nori at one end.’
- ‘At press time, the menu included a maki roll of raw coconut, nut-based ‘mayonnaise’, avocado, cucumber and nori.’
- ‘The most obvious wrapping is nori, the seaweed used to make sushi rolls.’
- ‘The seaweed-sheet wrapper, nori, could have been more toasty, less leathery.’
- ‘In Asia, rhodophytes are important sources of food, such as nori.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.