One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sport or activity that involves walking across country with the aid of long poles resembling ski sticks.
- ‘All this makes Nordic walking a good training option for anyone with dodgy knees, as well as being useful for rehabilitation after sports injuries.’
- ‘For the moment, I am happy with my relaxed, instinctive Nordic walking, even if I'm not burning off that 46 per cent extra calories.’
- ‘Nordic walking is lower impact than running, easier on the knees and joints, but still a good cardiovascular workout.’
- ‘Experts say that Nordic walking is better than regular walking because it forces you to move your upper body more, providing mobility, flexibility and a higher caloric burn.’
- ‘What I had seen was a form of exercise known as Nordic walking.’
- ‘"Nordic walking is very popular on the Continent but it hasn't quite caught on here yet," says Andrew.’
- ‘Nordic walking is best practised on fairly smooth and level paths.’
- ‘Andrew Dugmore, who took up Nordic walking two years ago, believes the activity has an as yet undiscovered potential for the agricultural community.’
- ‘The origins of Nordic walking are directly linked to cross-country skiing.’
- ‘People also take up Nordic walking for therapeutic reasons.’
- ‘So today I read about a hot new exercise craze called "Nordic walking."’
- ‘I remembered the Nordic walking - why not try it?’
- ‘Nordic walking is also a versatile workout.’
- ‘We are adapting ski schools for the summer, with downhill biking and Nordic walking instead.’
- ‘Exercise intensity is determined by upper body effort, so people of differing fitness levels can walk and talk together, whilst working to their own level with Nordic walking.’
- ‘As a diversion, we took a lesson in Nordic walking, a form of exercise that is becoming increasingly fashionable.’
- ‘Nordic walking originally started in Scandinavia to help maintain summer fitness levels for cross-country skiers.’
- ‘From an off-season ski-training activity, then called ski-walking or ski-striding, Nordic walking has evolved into a year-round activity in its own right.’
- ‘They can organise lift passes for the summer hiking lifts as well as guided walks, 5 per week, and Nordic walking.’
- ‘She got really excited about it, and Nordic walking became part of our daily lives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.