One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical evergreen shrub native to southern and SE Asia and the Pacific islands.
Morinda citrifolia, family Rubiaceae
- ‘The fertiliser will be particularly beneficial for the organic noni growers.’
- ‘Its medicinal effects are produced from the noni's roots, stems and leaves.’
- ‘Polly makes a point of educating us on native plants as well, like the kukui nut, whose oil was used by Hawaiians as lubricant and fuel, the noni, and the ti leaf.’
- ‘It's no wonder noni's popularity has increased.’
- ‘I learned that noni is a commonly planted tropical tree used primarily as an ornamental plant for its broad, bright green leaves, affording shade where it's needed.’
2The fruit of the noni, used medicinally to stimulate the immune system and as a detoxifying agent.
- ‘The tropical fruit noni contains all three of these types of compounds.’
- ‘The natural remedy you should ensure you have in your medicine chest this Christmas is noni juice, but in its more potent concentrate form.’
- ‘For this reason, people with kidney disease or who take potassium-sparing diuretics shouldn't drink noni juice because it can cause dangerously elevated levels of potassium in the blood.’
- ‘Supplements don't contain nitric oxide but some promote its production in the body - products containing arginine or the tropical fruit noni, for example.’
- ‘Many claims have been made for noni, including relief of diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and many other illnesses.’
- ‘Resembling a small breadfruit, noni comes from a hardy tropical shrub that grows with weed-like abandon from Tonga to Thailand.’
- ‘In terms of modern western medicine, noni is believed to be an immune-booster and a potential therapeutic agent against cancer.’
- ‘A 1999 study by Hawaiian researchers found that a polysaccharide-rich compound from noni fruit juice markedly enhanced the survival time of laboratory mice with a specific type of cancer, Lewis lung carcinoma.’
- ‘Vimala discovered that the fresh fruit was a better anti-oxidant than all the 10 noni products (including juices, pills and powder) that she tested.’
- ‘In early clinical trials in Bulgaria, researchers reported that noni concentrate could banish flu symptoms in as little as two hours; and in America, family doctors have reported using it successfully to ward off colds and flu.’
- ‘As with many fruits, the noni fruit is a source of vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants.’
- ‘She isn't giving up without a fight; she's scoffing broccoli heads and noni juice and shark liver oil.’
- ‘Their December 2003 publication in the journal Phytotherapy Research indicated that a noni extract produced a cure rate of 25-45 percent in an animal tumor model.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.