One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish or stupid person (often as a general term of abuse).
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘Please treat us like we have a brain and some experience of the world, rather than nongs who can get all excited by stupid, inflammatory and vacuous rhetoric.’
- ‘You appear to be a wide selection of nongs and while I will continue to purchase your newspaper I will wonder to myself more and more why it is that I do.’
- ‘I have never felt like such a nong, except for when I was a kid and found out people committed ‘suicide’ and not ‘silverside’.’
- ‘It makes him appear now to be an even bigger nong.’
- ‘OK, you look like a bit of a nong.’
1940s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.