One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being nonchalant.‘an air of nonchalance’
unconcern, lack of concern, indifference, heedlessness, relaxedness, calm, calmness, equanimity, coolness, composure, casualness, ease, easy-going attitude, airiness, carefreeness, frivolousness, carelessnesscalmness, coolness, insouciance, unconcern, casualness, airiness, sangfroid, calm, indifference, dispassionateness, lack of emotion, composure, detachment, imperturbabilityView synonyms
- ‘They can give a Saturday morning hangover at the coffee bar an air of elegant nonchalance.’
- ‘The screen projections were cool, and the nonchalance of the band provided enough room to get into their music.’
- ‘His nonchalance and cool attitude towards her was really beginning to bug her in more ways than one.’
- ‘Nevertheless, playing the field required a certain nonchalance and confidence neither of which I appeared to be able to muster.’
- ‘I, for one, should not be surprised by Rochford's nonchalance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.