Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not feasible or practical.‘non-viable investments’
- ‘In other words, the Whitlam policy was clearly non-viable.’
- ‘The proposed break-up would create three non-viable firms out of one very viable and very profitable company, he said.’
- ‘The example I had in mind was the contrast between what happened in Japan and Scotland when it became clear that shipbuilding was non-viable because of cheaper competition from abroad.’
- ‘The second point is that the difference between a viable and a non-viable project is generally less than clear-cut.’
- ‘Recently, there were attempts to absolutize the experience of military conflicts and to promote certain non-viable and even fantastic ideas.’
(of a fetus or unborn child) unable to survive independently after birth.
- ‘When possible, original seeds collected from wild populations were analysed, but for old and otherwise nonviable seed, seed increase stocks were used.’
- ‘Some lines were barely fertile, as might be expected if loss of the major autosomes was occurring at a high rate, resulting in the production of nonviable aneuploid embryos.’
- ‘Studies suggest that sputum smears persistently positive despite negative culture results may in some patients be due to nonviable or atypical mycobacteria.’
- ‘By contrast, at least some nonsynonymous mutations are expected to be strongly deleterious because they damage protein structure and thereby render the cell nonviable.’
- ‘These lines were declared extinct if all three consecutive attempts to transfer worms from the backup plate resulted in nonviable worms.’
- ‘He continues with a discussion of the benefits of discarding nonviable embryos, including those that may be premature or result in low birthweight.’
- ‘The T. turgidum nucleus is incompatible with the T. longissimum cytoplasm, producing nonviable progeny.’
- ‘This method of determining the percentage of living cells is based on the knowledge that viable and nonviable cells differ in their ability to extrude fluorescent dyes.’
- ‘Since refrigerated seeds last several years you need not worry that any saved seeds two or three years old will become nonviable before its next seed harvest.’
- ‘In this circumstance, the residual tumor is frequently nonviable.’
- ‘Nonviable cells typically have a compromised membrane.’
- ‘The total number of cells exhibiting transport was thus 73%, while the remaining 27% of cells were nonviable.’
- ‘I do think that unless the fetus is absolutely nonviable outside the uterus, I'd rather never see it done at all.’
- ‘Therefore, as the tissue is processed as a mass, a nucleic acid-based approach usually involves contamination by nonmalignant and nonviable cancer cells.’
- ‘The clinical improvement and resolution of radiographic abnormalities observed in this study suggest that the positive smears are due to nonviable mycobacterium.’
- ‘Viable and nonviable seeds can easily be distinguished using a binocular microscope, because the latter lack an embryo, whereas viable seeds contain an embryo.’
- ‘Following fetal demise in each instance, delivery was medically induced, and a nonviable fetus was delivered without further complication.’
- ‘Degradation of hydrogen peroxide via catalase produced by bacterial cells, including nonviable cells, requires a concerted systems effort by a group of bacteria.’
- ‘The third instance of cord torsion resulted in the delivery of a nonviable, 15.5-week, phenotypically female fetus.’
- ‘Similarly, oncological studies show a dramatic reduction in cancer cells after cell-saver processing, with those remaining cells being nonviable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.