One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not concerned with the theory of a subject; practical.‘conventional, non-theoretical criticism’‘non-theoretical interpretations of mystical experiences’
- ‘Whereas non-theoretical critics are faithful to the words on the page, theorists see only what their pet doctrines allow them to see.’
- ‘Theory is here mostly eschewed (although Baudrillard is mentioned once, I believe), but you must not let that tempt you into thinking that this is a non-theoretical piece of cultural journalism, let alone a coffee-table picture book.’
- ‘Even as a non-theoretical designer there are critics that I do admire.’
- ‘A significant portion of the chapter is devoted to non-theoretical, in other words, practical, problems that may arise with stratomethods.’
- ‘How can you produce a non-theoretical theory of justice, one that puts concrete things right in the middle?’
- ‘But conventional, non-theoretical criticism often acts as if questions of value are irrelevant, or canonically settled.’
- ‘His friends take great pains to help Sheldon navigate the non-theoretical world, be it driving him to CalTech or simply adjusting their routines so that Sheldon won't have to change his.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.