Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not having or involving a belief in a god or gods.
- ‘There are non-theistic explanations for the origins of individual rights.’
- ‘That's the ultimate irony for people who want to adopt a non-theistic view of the origin of life.’
- ‘Their confidence in the efficiency of natural process evolution exceeds even that of the most ardent, nontheistic evolutionists.’
- ‘The naturalistic conclusion is antagonistic to theistic religion and leads to non-theistic belief systems, laws, morals and ethics that sharply conflict with those derived from the major religions of the world.’
- ‘Obviously, supporting only holistic programs grounded in theistic assumptions would constitute discrimination against non-theistic worldviews.’
- ‘Logically, this favors (but does not require) non-theistic religions and belief systems.’
- ‘Overall, based on my experience in both camps (theistic and non-theistic), I venture to claim that activists of either breed have a greater tendency to be "religious" rather than non-activists.’
- ‘Buddhism is a non-theistic religion that claims that suffering is unavoidable, and that the root of suffering is attachment, greed and desire.’
- ‘A casual reading of the passage might suggest that Descartes offers a naturalistic solution to the problem (viz., a non-theistic solution), in the form of a continuity test.’
- ‘It was a nontheistic, atheistic religion, a religion of man and society.’
- ‘As for soul, purpose and morality, I defined these in my paper, used them in a very specific (and non-theistic) manner, discuss them at length in my book, and show precisely how material processes produced such nonmaterial entities.’
- ‘Article 18 protects theistic, non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as the right not to profess any religion or belief.’
- ‘To the non-theistic scientist, the objective universe is what it is, and the question of how it got that way is just one more thing to investigate.’
- ‘As I see it, opposition to theocracy and advocacy of a non-theistic worldview are two separate goals.’
- ‘Those moral codes, beyond the few obvious rules that are common to all moral systems including non-theistic ones, can differ rather dramatically.’
- ‘On Monday, March 12, the Secular Coalition for America will make history by announcing the name of the first openly nontheistic member of Congress.’
- ‘It is found in every single religious tradition and in every non-theistic system of ethics as well.’
- ‘Nontheistic religions such as secular humanism, atheism, agnosticism and scientism are quite happy with science that seeks to remove any "supernatural" influence from its explanations.’
- ‘They are actually advancing the non-theistic religion of secular humanism.’
- ‘The inclusion of non-theistic beliefs in Article 18 was inevitable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.