One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having no relation to time.
- ‘For him a self, as it really is, is a timeless existent; and what appears to it and to others as its successive experiences are really timeless existents, ordered in a non-temporal series.’
- ‘One of the overarching, though now somewhat obvious, findings of this study is that musical cognitive processes, both temporal and nontemporal, do in fact exist.’
- ‘Non-temporal extrinsic data differ from stratigraphic data in that the linearity and irreversibility of the time element are absent.’
- ‘A non-temporal series, then, has no direction in itself, though a person considering it may take the terms in one direction or in the other, according to his own convenience.’
- ‘One picture, then, is of the universe beginning in a singular, non-temporal event roughly 13 - 14 billion years ago.’
- ‘Another nontemporal experiment dealt with motivic abstraction.’
- ‘One interesting and unexpected findings that these results yield is that nontemporal processes seem to develop noticeably before temporal processes.’
- ‘This suggests that these features did not develop over long periods of time but would be better explained by nontemporal processes.’
- ‘Of course, we do also speak of non-temporal 'change', as when we describe the width of a river as 'changing' - 'getting bigger' - as it approaches the sea.’
2Relating to spiritual as opposed to worldly affairs.
priestly, ministerial, clerical, ecclesiastic, prelatic, canonical, parsonical, pastoralView synonyms
- ‘By too-often tending to conceive of God as an otherworldly, non-spatial, non-temporal being, he does not articulate well, how pantheistic conceptions of God and their intellectual relatives may also harbor the titanistic attitudes he seeks to criticize.’
- ‘A dozen composers worked on the soundtrack, producing a whole range of songs, many of them about Radha and Krishna, that create an intended nontemporal quality.’
- ‘I do believe that my moral choices have spiritual, non-temporal consequences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.