One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having no relation to time.
- ‘Non-temporal extrinsic data differ from stratigraphic data in that the linearity and irreversibility of the time element are absent.’
- ‘Another nontemporal experiment dealt with motivic abstraction.’
- ‘A non-temporal series, then, has no direction in itself, though a person considering it may take the terms in one direction or in the other, according to his own convenience.’
- ‘For him a self, as it really is, is a timeless existent; and what appears to it and to others as its successive experiences are really timeless existents, ordered in a non-temporal series.’
- ‘One interesting and unexpected findings that these results yield is that nontemporal processes seem to develop noticeably before temporal processes.’
- ‘One of the overarching, though now somewhat obvious, findings of this study is that musical cognitive processes, both temporal and nontemporal, do in fact exist.’
- ‘Of course, we do also speak of non-temporal 'change', as when we describe the width of a river as 'changing' - 'getting bigger' - as it approaches the sea.’
- ‘This suggests that these features did not develop over long periods of time but would be better explained by nontemporal processes.’
- ‘One picture, then, is of the universe beginning in a singular, non-temporal event roughly 13 - 14 billion years ago.’
2Relating to spiritual as opposed to worldly affairs.
priestly, ministerial, clerical, ecclesiastic, prelatic, canonical, parsonical, pastoralView synonyms
- ‘I do believe that my moral choices have spiritual, non-temporal consequences.’
- ‘A dozen composers worked on the soundtrack, producing a whole range of songs, many of them about Radha and Krishna, that create an intended nontemporal quality.’
- ‘By too-often tending to conceive of God as an otherworldly, non-spatial, non-temporal being, he does not articulate well, how pantheistic conceptions of God and their intellectual relatives may also harbor the titanistic attitudes he seeks to criticize.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.