Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Designed to prevent sliding or skidding.‘non-skid tyres’
- ‘Since it has a non-skid surface, bed cargo will not move around during transit.’
- ‘All you need to pack are sunglasses, a hat, a toothbrush, shorts and a tee-shirt, some non-skid foot-wear and a credit-card.’
- ‘Never use a bath seat on textured or non-skid surfaces unless the manufacturer's instructions specifically state the seat is intended for such surfaces.’
- ‘They have a loosely elasticized ankle and non-skid soles and zip up the front.’
- ‘Can I remove the carpet and install non-skid tiles?’
- ‘And we now have non-skid porcelain tile specially made for exterior rain-soaked conditions.’
- ‘‘It's very relaxing, but a little uncomfortable because all we have are towels as a barrier to the gritty non-skid surface of the deck,’ Johnson says.’
- ‘The non-skid Thermal Foot Gauntlet is designed to relieve pain associated with diabetes, arthritis, and Raynaud's disease.’
- ‘Although these men wear no protective clothing, only shorts, pullovers and specially-designed non-skid boots, physical clashes are frequent and each team is allowed a bench of four substitutes to replace the injured.’
- ‘Just be certain to use a non-skid pad underneath, especially if anyone will be stepping out of a tub or shower.’
- ‘This is a must, as is ensuring proper non-skid footwear is worn by employees.’
- ‘Lay your stone on a flat, non-skid service.’
- ‘Grab bars and handrails provide support; smooth sidewalks prevent trips and falls, as do secure carpets and non-skid floor coverings.’
- ‘If you select tile, try using a throw-rug with a non-skid backing for added precautions, especially around areas that get wet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.