Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not involving restrictions or limitations.
public, general, unrestricted, non-exclusive, accessible to everyone, non-restrictiveView synonyms
- ‘However, the return hose needs to run directly to the reservoir on the tractor without going through a coupler or be connected by a non-restrictive coupler.’
- ‘Our law and order policies are tough, but they are fair and they are non-restrictive for law-abiding citizens.’
- ‘The design funnels the air around non-restrictive curved corners.’
- ‘Holland, though it has a non-restrictive abortion law and free abortions, has one of the lowest abortion rates in the world, far lower than many countries where abortion is illegal.’
- ‘In 1997 the European Commission adopted a non-restrictive interpretation of this provision in relation to providing banking services cross-border.’
- ‘There's been a general shift in publishing away from online pay-sites with restricted content to an increasingly non-restrictive approach.’
(of a relative clause or descriptive phrase) giving additional information about a noun phrase whose particular reference has already been specified.
- ‘They don't even want to know what the distinction between a restrictive and a non-restrictive clause might be.’
- ‘The result is a non-restrictive relative clause in which the relative pronoun ‘whom’ is buried inside a recursively-embedded participial supplement.’
- ‘A non-restrictive clause is one that does not serve to identify or define the antecedent noun.’
- ‘The sentence ‘My uncle, who lives in Brazil, is coming to see us’ contains the non-restrictive relative clause ‘who lives in Brazil’.’
On the use of restrictive and non-restrictive relative clauses, see restrictive
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.