Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not representing something in way that is accurate and true to life:‘a stylized, non-realistic image’
- ‘It just happened that non-realistic art got media attention because the media focuses on the shocking and controversial.’
- ‘He quotes me in this book as claiming that the Irish literary tradition is one of 'largely non-realistic works', whereas what I actually wrote was 'non-realist'.’
- ‘"It is the most neglected of the arts," Lal agreed, "because ours is a realistic age and dance is non-realistic."’
- ‘Thus even non-realistic depictions that do not purport to represent faithfully events and persons still tend to make the audience feel that they have experienced history.’
- ‘He looks back and realises the images on the wall that dictated our perception of reality are non-realistic.’
- ‘Some commentators felt that the symphony was ' non-realistic ' and attacked its pessimism.’
- ‘The amount of information is not altered, for instance, by switching from the realistic mode of representation of conventional perspective to the non-realistic mode of, say, reverse perspective.’
- ‘As a taste for non-realistic forms of fiction established itself, Gothic settings and character-types reappeared regularly as part of the repertoire of serious fiction.’
- ‘You know how sometimes SF/Fantasy is referred to as "speculative fiction", in an attempt to encompass all types of non-realistic fiction, and also to avoid the stigma of genrefication?’
- ‘He did several set designs for the left-wing Unity Theatre, including productions of Shaw's The Applecart, Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard and Arthur Miller's The Crucible, the last employing a non-realistic design separating the stage with cheesecloth screens.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.