One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance) not allowing liquid or air to pass through it; not porous.
- ‘All cultured marble, onyx and granite products have a gel coat finish that provides a non-porous, stain resistant surface.’
- ‘Prime your countertops with a primer specially made for non-porous surfaces!’
- ‘They work well on absorbent papers but won't dry on non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘Tiles are made in porous and non-porous varieties.’
- ‘Reduce watering chores by choosing light-colored, non-porous containers such as plastic or glazed pottery.’
- ‘But they're also non-porous, easy to care for and highly resistant to stains.’
- ‘My dad explained to me that this works because the plastic has a non-porous finish that bacteria can't stick to, so it can't grow as easily.’
- ‘Simply prime it with a product specifically made for non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘This is a plus since the glaze makes them non-porous, requiring less water during hot weather.’
- ‘This layer is non-porous, generally wet and cold, and a poor soil for root growth.’
- ‘This marker is permanent on porous and non-porous surfaces and will write on just about anything.’
- ‘Artificial casings are apt to be non-porous, which hinders the blending of flavours in dishes where sausages are cooked with other ingredients.’
- ‘Available in 24 colors, the brightly colored ink will wash out of most clothing, as well as off skin and most non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘The material is non-porous and naturally resistant to a number of stains, so routine maintenance typically involves only washing with a damp cloth.’
- ‘The shell itself is a three-layer non-porous, breathable membrane.’
- ‘In extreme cases, the resulting dolostones are essentially non-porous and impermeable.’
- ‘The powdery material has the same composition as the hard, non-porous red-orange laminae.’
- ‘So, the company began using the wood, which is hard and non-porous, to make chopsticks and bowls.’
- ‘These topcoats are highly flexible, non-porous, extremely scratch resistant, and strengthened by exposure to moisture.’
- ‘When removing non-porous wallpaper such as vinyl, be sure to score the paper to allow the steam of the wallpaper steamer to penetrate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.