One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance) not allowing liquid or air to pass through it; not porous.
- ‘This is a plus since the glaze makes them non-porous, requiring less water during hot weather.’
- ‘Tiles are made in porous and non-porous varieties.’
- ‘Simply prime it with a product specifically made for non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘The shell itself is a three-layer non-porous, breathable membrane.’
- ‘These topcoats are highly flexible, non-porous, extremely scratch resistant, and strengthened by exposure to moisture.’
- ‘Prime your countertops with a primer specially made for non-porous surfaces!’
- ‘Reduce watering chores by choosing light-colored, non-porous containers such as plastic or glazed pottery.’
- ‘Artificial casings are apt to be non-porous, which hinders the blending of flavours in dishes where sausages are cooked with other ingredients.’
- ‘The material is non-porous and naturally resistant to a number of stains, so routine maintenance typically involves only washing with a damp cloth.’
- ‘Available in 24 colors, the brightly colored ink will wash out of most clothing, as well as off skin and most non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘This marker is permanent on porous and non-porous surfaces and will write on just about anything.’
- ‘This layer is non-porous, generally wet and cold, and a poor soil for root growth.’
- ‘They work well on absorbent papers but won't dry on non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘In extreme cases, the resulting dolostones are essentially non-porous and impermeable.’
- ‘My dad explained to me that this works because the plastic has a non-porous finish that bacteria can't stick to, so it can't grow as easily.’
- ‘But they're also non-porous, easy to care for and highly resistant to stains.’
- ‘When removing non-porous wallpaper such as vinyl, be sure to score the paper to allow the steam of the wallpaper steamer to penetrate.’
- ‘All cultured marble, onyx and granite products have a gel coat finish that provides a non-porous, stain resistant surface.’
- ‘So, the company began using the wood, which is hard and non-porous, to make chopsticks and bowls.’
- ‘The powdery material has the same composition as the hard, non-porous red-orange laminae.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.