Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a substance) not allowing liquid or air to pass through it; not porous.
- ‘In extreme cases, the resulting dolostones are essentially non-porous and impermeable.’
- ‘But they're also non-porous, easy to care for and highly resistant to stains.’
- ‘When removing non-porous wallpaper such as vinyl, be sure to score the paper to allow the steam of the wallpaper steamer to penetrate.’
- ‘Simply prime it with a product specifically made for non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘Artificial casings are apt to be non-porous, which hinders the blending of flavours in dishes where sausages are cooked with other ingredients.’
- ‘These topcoats are highly flexible, non-porous, extremely scratch resistant, and strengthened by exposure to moisture.’
- ‘The powdery material has the same composition as the hard, non-porous red-orange laminae.’
- ‘Tiles are made in porous and non-porous varieties.’
- ‘All cultured marble, onyx and granite products have a gel coat finish that provides a non-porous, stain resistant surface.’
- ‘My dad explained to me that this works because the plastic has a non-porous finish that bacteria can't stick to, so it can't grow as easily.’
- ‘The shell itself is a three-layer non-porous, breathable membrane.’
- ‘They work well on absorbent papers but won't dry on non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘So, the company began using the wood, which is hard and non-porous, to make chopsticks and bowls.’
- ‘Reduce watering chores by choosing light-colored, non-porous containers such as plastic or glazed pottery.’
- ‘Available in 24 colors, the brightly colored ink will wash out of most clothing, as well as off skin and most non-porous surfaces.’
- ‘The material is non-porous and naturally resistant to a number of stains, so routine maintenance typically involves only washing with a damp cloth.’
- ‘This marker is permanent on porous and non-porous surfaces and will write on just about anything.’
- ‘This is a plus since the glaze makes them non-porous, requiring less water during hot weather.’
- ‘Prime your countertops with a primer specially made for non-porous surfaces!’
- ‘This layer is non-porous, generally wet and cold, and a poor soil for root growth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.