Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The fact or condition of not being involved with or participating in something.‘the government's non-participation in the war is tactical’‘the teacher didn't seem to mind their non-participation’
laissez-faire, neutrality, non-alignment, non-participation, non-interference, non-interventionism, non-involvement, a hands-off approach, inaction, passivityView synonyms
- ‘Current nonparticipation in clinical activities does not negate past participation.’
- ‘We need to listen to what the young are saying to us through their non-participation.’
- ‘The only reasons accepted for non-participation are foreign citizenship, a severe chronic medical condition, or a handicap documented in a medical certificate.’
- ‘Aspects such as age, marital status, small farm size and other sources of income will be major factors in non-participation.’
- ‘Without the spectator's gaze, without the spectator's pact of non-intervention and non-participation in the action, there can be no theater.’
- ‘This chapter examines the reasons for the participation of the six states, and for the non-participation of Britain.’
- ‘The reasons given for nonparticipation were, in a word, diverse.’
- ‘In fact, inappropriate participation may be worse than non-participation.’
- ‘The main reasons given for nonparticipation were lack of time and inability to return to the clinic.’
- ‘Voter nonparticipation is the great ongoing scandal of our democracy.’
- ‘Their nonparticipation means that those workers escape any contribution to the financing of the legacy debt.’
- ‘Some information about the reasons for non-participation was gathered through e-mail correspondence with participants.’
- ‘The candidates all believe they can buck the long-running trend of student non-participation.’
- ‘The traditional apathy and non-participation won out at the polls.’
- ‘I would argue that in the absence of compulsory voting Australia would see a similar level of non-participation.’
- ‘I asked the recipients who would still not participate for the reasons for their non-participation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.