Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Failure to fulfil or comply with an obligation, rule, or custom.
contravention, breach, infringement, infraction, breaking, transgression, lack of compliance with, disobeying, disobedience, defiance, defying, flouting, flying in the face of, rebelling againstView synonyms
- ‘The non-observance of feeding rules and medical prevention, leads to many more diseases than otherwise would be the case.’
- ‘The first of these relates to the non-observance of the accord.’
- ‘The National Roads Authority 1999 Survey of Free Speeds quantifies widespread non-observance of speed limits by all classes of traffic.’
- ‘Flouting of convention can provoke conflict which is just as sharp as that caused by non-observance of laws.’
- ‘If a violation of one of those rights and freedoms is the result of a non-observance of the obligation in the enactment of domestic legislation, the responsibility of the State is engaged.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.