Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Two patients categorised their feelings after reading the letter as negative, 71 as non-negative, and six did not understand the letter's content.’
- ‘There's almost a palpable feeling of arms being twisted behind backs when a politician gives his or her non-negative view of the war.’
- 1.1Mathematics Either positive or equal to zero.
- ‘We also required that the numerically estimated derivatives from Equation 8 be non-negative.’
- ‘These rate variation parameters are restricted to non-negative values.’
- ‘Among the topics which Frobenius studied towards the end of his career were positive and non-negative matrices.’
- ‘These masses and fluxes are expected to be non-negative.’
- ‘The non-negative random variable T measures survival time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.