Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not involving or manifesting natural means or processes.
- ‘They want science to be redefined to include non-natural or supernatural explanations for natural phenomena.’
- ‘I've known moms to be phobic of anything with an appliqué, certain colors, non-natural fibers, or frilly headbands.’
- ‘Spirits of the dead are going to wander around where they jumped because they died of non-natural causes.’
- ‘With other breakthroughs in chemistry, it is now possible to synthesize some natural products, like rubber, from non-natural sources.’
- ‘The reporting procedure in The Netherlands is a reporting procedure that distinguishes between natural deaths and non-natural deaths, and if it's euthanasia you have to report it as a non-natural death.’
- ‘On the outside of the house, stucco replaces non-natural materials like vinyl siding.’
- ‘Global warming is generally accepted to be a non-natural phenomenon.’
- ‘In essence this Act prohibited non-natural additives on public-health grounds.’
- ‘The doctor is then obliged to report the death from a non-natural cause and a review committee will assess whether the doctor has acted in accordance with the due care criteria.’
- ‘Miller testified that, ‘If you invoke a non-natural cause, a spirit force or something like that in your research, I have no way to test it.’’
- 1.1Philosophy Existing but not part of the natural world (a term used by G.E. Moore of ethical properties).
- ‘Broadly conceived, the Naturalistic Fallacy rules out any attempt to treat morality as defined according to some pre-existent reality, whether that reality is expressed in natural or non-natural terms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.