One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the regions outside a metropolis.‘rural and non-metropolitan America’‘the residents of non-metropolitan areas’
small-town, non-urban, outlying, rural, country, rustic, backwoods, backwaterView synonyms
- ‘Obviously other things being equal the non-metropolitan areas will grow faster than metropolitan areas.’
- ‘Civil law powers, such as France, were more systematic in incorporation of metropolitan law into non-metropolitan territories.’
- ‘Edwin Mills noted the remarkable similarity of metropolitan and non-metropolitan employment shares.’
- ‘The real problems the non-metropolitan areas face are different, and require different responses.’
- ‘Already one politician has put up his hand to lead a new non-metropolitan state.’
- ‘Nearly 30 per cent of non-metropolitan workers earn less than $12 per hour compared with just 23 per cent of city workers.’
- ‘Agriculture and forestry are not a major source of rural and non-metropolitan income, nor do they provide employment for most rural or non-metropolitan people.’
- ‘One of the things I love about blogging is how non-metropolitan it is.’
- ‘Urban and rural, metropolitan and non-metropolitan, places are economically, environmentally, and socially interdependent.’
- ‘The increase in teacher aide support was predominantly to students in the non-metropolitan area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.