An element or substance that is not a metal.
- ‘As a rough rule of thumb, metals are non-molecular, like iron, whereas non-metals are molecular.’
- ‘It combines easily with many non-metals, including nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and the halogens.’
- ‘Barium is an active metal that combines easily with oxygen, the halogens, and other non-metals.’
- ‘Ionic bonds are most often formed between atoms of metals and atoms of non-metals.’
- ‘Chemically, elements can be classified as metals, metalloids, or non-metals based, in part, upon these physical properties.’