One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not using or working with the hands.‘office or non-manual work’‘non-manuallabourers’
- ‘University lecturers' pay has fallen 40 percent behind the average for non-manual occupations over the last 20 years.’
- ‘Hypertension showed a similar prevalence in all groups, but was lower in women in non-manual classes.’
- ‘In other words, independents were neither more nor less likely than the affiliated to be childless, currently employed, or working in a non-manual occupation.’
- ‘"The difficulties of a 40-year-old man, used to manual work, obtaining employment in West Wales in non-manual work should not be underestimated."’
- ‘In 1983, only 5 percent of non-manual workers were unemployed.’
- ‘Smoking was more common among those who were in a manual class compared with a non-manual class.’
- ‘More white children had parents with non-manual occupations.’
- ‘Another 24% came from homes with at least one parent in professional or managerial occupations and 15% had a parent in routine non-manual jobs, such as office work.’
- ‘The variation amongst women is less, with over half of working women in all ethnic groups being in intermediate or junior non-manual work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.