One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance) not magnetic.
- ‘Sandown Class minehunters are built almost entirely of non-magnetic materials and are designed to resist high shock levels.’
- ‘Recording magnetometers flown over large areas could distinguish rapidly between magnetic and non-magnetic rock groups.’
- ‘And the objects, which were non-magnetic, were enclosed in a glass case.’
- ‘Patients were randomly assigned to wear a standard strength magnetic bracelet, a weak magnetic bracelet or a bracelet with non-magnetic steel washers.’
- ‘The ships are constructed of non-magnetic steel.’
- ‘Each subject was fitted with non-magnetic earphones and a device to deliver smells, called an olfactometer, developed by Sobel and coauthor Brad Johnson, a bioengineering graduate student.’
- ‘It is highly resistant to corrosion and is non-magnetic.’
- ‘The system, which is made of non-magnetic materials, has a range of 350m.’
- ‘Wrought beryllium copper tools were almost as durable as similarly designed steel tools, but were non-sparking and non-magnetic.’
- ‘The tubing has to be a good conductor of electricity, and non-magnetic.’
- ‘Computer hard drives and other advanced devices depend on layered stacks of magnetic and non-magnetic materials, but researchers don't fully understand how the materials work at the microscopic level.’
- ‘Here the magnetic portion of the tape coating is spread thinly over a simultaneously coated non-magnetic underlayer.’
- ‘The case enclosing the device must of course be made of non-magnetic material such as brass, aluminum, special stainless-steel alloys, or plastic.’
- ‘The non-magnetic diesel engines are similar to those used in the US Navy's Avenger Class Mine Countermeasures Vessels.’
- ‘The researchers randomly assigned patients to wear a bracelet containing either a strong magnet, a weak magnet or non-magnetic washers.’
- ‘The design of the class was led by shipyard John I. Thornycroft, and drew on lessons learnt in the Korean War; the ships were built using extensive quantities of non-magnetic materials.’
- ‘The weights - made of zinc and plated with 24-karat gold - are non-magnetic and durable.’
- ‘Other nano-scale structures under investigation include, for instance, non-magnetic carbon nanotubes.’
- ‘It's highly non-corrosive, non-magnetic, and many times stronger than conventional metals.’
- ‘It is also non-magnetic, resists wear, and forms a green patina which makes it resistant to corrosion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.