Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to a sports club that does not belong to one of a country's main professional leagues.‘he's one of the best players in non-league football’
- ‘Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has heard the only way to succeed in the NCAA Tournament is to play an excruciatingly difficult non-league schedule.’
- ‘Three years ago he feared his career was tailing off… at best in the lower divisions, possibly even in the non-league ranks.’
- ‘Bury welcome Tyldesley to the Radcliffe Road ground tomorrow in a non-league fixture, kick-off 2.30 pm.’
- ‘Pittsburgh will not leave its city limits for a nonleague road game.’
- ‘Murray State has flown four times, all to non-league games.’
- ‘Conference clubs, meanwhile, are contemplating a second division of their own for leading non-league clubs.’
- ‘I really don't want to play any more non league games.’
- ‘Brazilian footballing legend Socrates has helped turn humble Garforth Town into the most talked-about non-league team in the world this week.’
- ‘In May 1997, an energy drink manufacturer advertised its product on nasal strips worn by non-league Chelmsford City.’
- ‘I thought we had done a good job of scheduling tough nonleague games.’
- ‘A talented team can win a lot of games without exceptional playmaking, especially against overmatched non-league opponents.’
- ‘Ellison is no stranger to Tigers manager Peter Taylor, he took him from non-league Altrincham to Leicester City back in 2001.’
- ‘The pen pics paint a colourful picture of life at The Spartans Football Club, the non-league team currently defying the odds.’
- ‘Brazilian soccer legend Socrates arrived in Yorkshire last night ahead of his eagerly anticipated debut for a non-league team.’
- ‘The season starts here for many of the York-area non-league clubs with the pre-season friendly schedules getting under way.’
- ‘The Bantams romped to a 5-win at non-league Harrogate Town last night.’
- ‘Mason helped Yorkshire to a 12-6 victory over Lincolnshire in the annual non-league meeting at Elsham.’
- ‘Outside the masochism of the Maul Invitational, Michigan State will play just two nonleague games against big-name opponents.’
- ‘I do, however, follow my local non-league side.’
- ‘The long road to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium - rather than Wembley - begins tomorrow for a number of non-league clubs in the region.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.