Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not hostile or aggressive.‘police will use a non-hostile approach’‘troops wounded in non-hostile acts’
friendly, good-natured, cordial, civil, courteous, polite, easy, easy-going, neighbourly, brotherly, fraternal, harmonious, cooperative, civilizedView synonyms
- ‘Writing a letter to the family of that service member who died in a non-hostile mishap is one of the most difficult aspects of command.’
- ‘Another 144 soldiers have died in non-hostile incidents, according to the Pentagon.’
- ‘We are keen to develop our investment trust business in a non-hostile way.’
- ‘The challenge will be to keep the inevitable competition as friendly (or at least non-hostile) as possible.’
- ‘Given that they often occur in non-firing, non-hostile situations, what causes these accidents?’
- ‘Funny how our generation flagrantly disregards all the work that's been done to ensure that the workplace is a non-hostile environment free from sexual harrassment.’
- ‘Bickering couples heal at 60 percent the speed of non-hostile couples.’
- ‘A soldier died from a non-hostile gunshot wound on Tuesday.’
- ‘Can we make this a completely non-hostile exchange of perspectives?’
- ‘US casualties numbered 148 battlefield deaths (a quarter from friendly fire) and 121 "non-hostile" or accidental deaths.’
- ‘The study showed that men who express their anger have a 10 percent greater risk than non-hostile men of developing a heart flutter.’
- ‘The total US death toll, including so-called non-hostile fatalities, now stands at 495.’
- ‘Whenever a baboon wishes to make a non-hostile approach to a weaker animal, he or she must make a friendly face and give a gentle grunt.’
- ‘She attended the dedication of a Playspace project, designed to ensure that children should have the chance to play in a "non-hostile environment".’
- ‘Even if killed in a non-hostile action, these soldiers are no less dead, their families no less aggrieved.’
- ‘The plane crashed; all on board were killed, their deaths classified as non-hostile.’
- ‘The military described the circumstances surrounding the killings as "non-hostile."’
- ‘There is a distinction being made between hostile and non-hostile casualties with the latter going under-reported.’
- ‘As a nice guy, I endeavor to be polite and non-hostile to everybody I encounter.’
- ‘Both died of gunshot wounds in what officials described as "non-hostile" circumstances with no enemy involvement.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.