Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of an organization) not belonging to or associated with any government.‘eight foreign non-governmental organizations were involved in food distribution’
- ‘All sorts of establishments in the Governmental and non-governmental sectors have been categorized and listed.’
- ‘They were also subject to rather stricter rules about the security of their staff than were non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘The main organizers of this march were the labor movement and many other non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘As an independent non-governmental organization, the fund does not get financial support from the government.’
- ‘In each case, it was non-governmental organizations that were the driving forces behind these profound changes.’
- ‘A likely source of balance is from the non-governmental organizations, such as Oxfam.’
- ‘The management of each reserve was handed over to a local non-governmental organization.’
- ‘The organization has support from unions, religious groups and non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘Though routinely referred to as a non-governmental organization, the US Congress funds it.’
- ‘Governmental and non-governmental agencies can provide support and information to active groups rooted in village and community.’
- ‘More than half the subscribers are employees of foreign non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘Meanwhile, many non-governmental organizations are also promoting sustainable development.’
- ‘Moreover, there is a large role for non-governmental organizations in both approaches.’
- ‘It must instead rely on complaints from citizens, firms, and non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘Meanwhile, many non-governmental organizations are taking a more active approach.’
- ‘He founded the Institute for Democracy and Mediation, a non-governmental organization, in Tirana.’
- ‘Few non-governmental organizations represented anything but parochial interests.’
- ‘Here is an article about non-governmental organizations and how businesses should respond to them.’
- ‘He's joined by his wife Jennifer who is the director of CARE, another non-governmental organization.’
- ‘The committee comprises representatives of government and non-governmental organizations.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.