Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not working or operating properly.‘there were problems with non-functioning lifts’
- ‘My cable TV was working fine, so I was puzzled as to why the cable modem for my internet would be non-functioning.’
- ‘A prosthesis is an artificial replacement for a missing or non-functioning body part.’
- ‘And entering a non-existent or non-functioning URL in the address bar will default to a Google search on that address.’
- ‘We had a leak in one of the still non-functioning water-heaters.’
- ‘Rather than greeting Monday morning with my usual combination of bleary eyes, splitting headache, non-functioning brain and general reluctance towards the whole idea of being in work, today has so far found me feeling almost lively.’
- ‘In the late 1980s, the capital city of Malabo had two non-functioning movie theaters used for government events.’
- ‘Old, obsolete and non-functioning computer monitors and cell phones are but a few of the many items that constitute electronic waste.’
- ‘Today I disassembled a non-functioning VCR and harvested 63 small screws which will join the thousands of other small screws housed in little glass jars in my workshop.’
- ‘It also has a big scary hole in the living room ceiling, no grounded outlets and two non-functioning washing machines.’
- ‘Asking the doctor to adjust the non-functioning spouse's treatment might be more satisfactory for both partners.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.