One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not working or operating properly.‘there were problems with non-functioning lifts’
- ‘And entering a non-existent or non-functioning URL in the address bar will default to a Google search on that address.’
- ‘Old, obsolete and non-functioning computer monitors and cell phones are but a few of the many items that constitute electronic waste.’
- ‘Rather than greeting Monday morning with my usual combination of bleary eyes, splitting headache, non-functioning brain and general reluctance towards the whole idea of being in work, today has so far found me feeling almost lively.’
- ‘We had a leak in one of the still non-functioning water-heaters.’
- ‘Asking the doctor to adjust the non-functioning spouse's treatment might be more satisfactory for both partners.’
- ‘A prosthesis is an artificial replacement for a missing or non-functioning body part.’
- ‘It also has a big scary hole in the living room ceiling, no grounded outlets and two non-functioning washing machines.’
- ‘My cable TV was working fine, so I was puzzled as to why the cable modem for my internet would be non-functioning.’
- ‘In the late 1980s, the capital city of Malabo had two non-functioning movie theaters used for government events.’
- ‘Today I disassembled a non-functioning VCR and harvested 63 small screws which will join the thousands of other small screws housed in little glass jars in my workshop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.