One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not working or operating properly.‘there were problems with non-functioning lifts’
- ‘And entering a non-existent or non-functioning URL in the address bar will default to a Google search on that address.’
- ‘Asking the doctor to adjust the non-functioning spouse's treatment might be more satisfactory for both partners.’
- ‘A prosthesis is an artificial replacement for a missing or non-functioning body part.’
- ‘Rather than greeting Monday morning with my usual combination of bleary eyes, splitting headache, non-functioning brain and general reluctance towards the whole idea of being in work, today has so far found me feeling almost lively.’
- ‘We had a leak in one of the still non-functioning water-heaters.’
- ‘Today I disassembled a non-functioning VCR and harvested 63 small screws which will join the thousands of other small screws housed in little glass jars in my workshop.’
- ‘In the late 1980s, the capital city of Malabo had two non-functioning movie theaters used for government events.’
- ‘Old, obsolete and non-functioning computer monitors and cell phones are but a few of the many items that constitute electronic waste.’
- ‘My cable TV was working fine, so I was puzzled as to why the cable modem for my internet would be non-functioning.’
- ‘It also has a big scary hole in the living room ceiling, no grounded outlets and two non-functioning washing machines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.