Not able to speak or write a particular foreign language easily and accurately.‘non-fluent speakers of English’
broken, disjointed, faltering, halting, hesitant, rudimentary, limited, deficientView synonyms
- ‘Non-fluent English speakers would fail to recognise the negative connotations of the word.’
- ‘Non-native, non-fluent readers put German into their own syntactic rules for word placement.’
- ‘The community as a whole shares certain norms for interacting, whether in fluent Gaelic, non-fluent Gaelic, or English.’
- ‘A child has an increased likelihood of being referred to special education if he or she is listed as non-fluent in his or her native and second language.’
- ‘Often when nonfluent readers read aloud, their reading is interrupted not only by their own pauses but by other students who tell them the word that is causing the pause.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.