One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The committee comprised a European official, three non-European officials, two ‘native’ officials and one native non-official.’
- ‘In Chapter 2 it was argued that the expansion of European societies led to increasing contacts between European and non-European peoples.’
- ‘National rivalry was thus stimulated by competition in the wider world both between European powers and between European and non-European powers.’
- ‘The hotly debated questions of what caused ‘new imperialism’ and what effects it had on the various European and non-European actors cannot be discussed here.’
- ‘Europe therefore learnt about non-European societies through other Europeans, predominantly through what they wrote about them, but also through attempts visually to represent them.’
1A person who is not a European.‘the art and music of non-Europeans’
- ‘Is this another wedge to divide Europeans and non-Europeans?’
- ‘Many of us non-Europeans go to Europe for the historic effect.’
- ‘This speaks to a long-standing European anxiety about being swamped by non-Europeans.’
- ‘Very few non-Europeans were in a position to propagate their values in Europe in return.’
- ‘The Ballon d' Or recognises not only Europeans but non-Europeans who play their club football in Europe.’
- 1.1South African dated A person of African, Asian, or mixed ancestry.
- ‘This policy was consolidated by excluding Chinese and other non-Europeans from the 1880s under the White Australia policy.’
- ‘The Nationalist Party from its inception had always pursued a policy of justice and fairness towards all sections of the population - English-speaking, Afrikaans-speaking, Africans and other non-Europeans.’
- ‘Most got their ‘evidence’ about Africans and non-Europeans second and third-hand from the actual conquerors and enslavers.’
- ‘For non-Europeans, of course, the case had long been very different, and laws embodying what was called the White Australia Policy were among the first to be passed by the parliament of the new Commonwealth of Australia.’
- ‘So, non-Europeans are accounted for but what about ethnic and gender discrimination?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.