One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who does not drink alcohol.
- ‘Are you one of those people who goes around spending time at parties trying to get non-drinkers like me to drink?’
- ‘As a non-drinker and non-smoker two of Cuba's most famous exports, cigars and rum, have little interest for him.’
- ‘Denis, a non-drinker, nonsmoker, runs two to three miles, three or four times a week.’
- ‘Fitzgerald is a reformed alcoholic, a strident non-drinker, with firm views on zero tolerance of alcohol as the only way to treat problem drinkers.’
- ‘As a non-drinker, I was untouched by this, but my friend opted not to drink a lot, and still had a great night.’
- ‘It has been proposed that men and women who regularly drink alcohol may have different dietary preferences than non-drinkers.’
- ‘McCloy points out that their differences even extend to the way they like to party, explaining that two members are non-drinkers and the others are ‘total drunks.’’
- ‘A non-drinker and non smoker, Sweeney's main interest is his business, which occupies him seven days a week.’
- ‘While kudzu extract won't magically turn alcoholics into non-drinkers, it might help others cut back on booze.’
- ‘Middle-aged French men who had had one heart attack and who drank two or more glasses of wine regularly were 50 per cent less likely than non-drinkers to have a second heart attack, the researchers found.’
- ‘As a result, there is no longer the same unusually high proportion of non-drinkers in the population.’
- ‘They found that the women who had the equivalent of one drink a day had a 23% lower risk of becoming mentally impaired during the two-year period, compared with non-drinkers.’
- ‘There is not a cause-and-effect relationship so unfortunately even non-smokers and non-drinkers may develop head and neck malignancies.’
- ‘‘People have a good time with it and even the non-drinkers are amused by it,’ Orlando says.’
- ‘While more than four out of 10 non-drinkers said other people viewed their refusal to drink as odd, a third of drinkers added that other people would think it odd if they were to give up alcohol.’
- ‘Or perhaps he should test the lunatic theory that alcohol promotes everything it shouldn't amongst non-drinkers.’
- ‘Only 4.4 per cent of those who smoke say they do not drink at all, compared with the 15.7 per cent of non-smokers who are also non-drinkers.’
- ‘He suggested products like sparkling non-alcoholic cider, which can be sold by the glass at great profit while allowing children and non-drinkers to celebrate at the same time other adults are enjoying Champagne.’
- ‘Well 90% of accidents are caused by non-drinkers.’
- ‘But this is very controversial, as doctors are still acutely reluctant to recommend that non-drinkers start drinking because there's a risk of addiction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.