One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who does not drink alcohol.
- ‘As a non-drinker and non-smoker two of Cuba's most famous exports, cigars and rum, have little interest for him.’
- ‘Well 90% of accidents are caused by non-drinkers.’
- ‘Middle-aged French men who had had one heart attack and who drank two or more glasses of wine regularly were 50 per cent less likely than non-drinkers to have a second heart attack, the researchers found.’
- ‘‘People have a good time with it and even the non-drinkers are amused by it,’ Orlando says.’
- ‘A non-drinker and non smoker, Sweeney's main interest is his business, which occupies him seven days a week.’
- ‘Fitzgerald is a reformed alcoholic, a strident non-drinker, with firm views on zero tolerance of alcohol as the only way to treat problem drinkers.’
- ‘He suggested products like sparkling non-alcoholic cider, which can be sold by the glass at great profit while allowing children and non-drinkers to celebrate at the same time other adults are enjoying Champagne.’
- ‘Only 4.4 per cent of those who smoke say they do not drink at all, compared with the 15.7 per cent of non-smokers who are also non-drinkers.’
- ‘But this is very controversial, as doctors are still acutely reluctant to recommend that non-drinkers start drinking because there's a risk of addiction.’
- ‘As a non-drinker, I was untouched by this, but my friend opted not to drink a lot, and still had a great night.’
- ‘McCloy points out that their differences even extend to the way they like to party, explaining that two members are non-drinkers and the others are ‘total drunks.’’
- ‘As a result, there is no longer the same unusually high proportion of non-drinkers in the population.’
- ‘Denis, a non-drinker, nonsmoker, runs two to three miles, three or four times a week.’
- ‘Or perhaps he should test the lunatic theory that alcohol promotes everything it shouldn't amongst non-drinkers.’
- ‘It has been proposed that men and women who regularly drink alcohol may have different dietary preferences than non-drinkers.’
- ‘There is not a cause-and-effect relationship so unfortunately even non-smokers and non-drinkers may develop head and neck malignancies.’
- ‘Are you one of those people who goes around spending time at parties trying to get non-drinkers like me to drink?’
- ‘They found that the women who had the equivalent of one drink a day had a 23% lower risk of becoming mentally impaired during the two-year period, compared with non-drinkers.’
- ‘While kudzu extract won't magically turn alcoholics into non-drinkers, it might help others cut back on booze.’
- ‘While more than four out of 10 non-drinkers said other people viewed their refusal to drink as odd, a third of drinkers added that other people would think it odd if they were to give up alcohol.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.