Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Containing no milk or milk products:‘a non-dairy creamer’
- ‘I'm not over-enthusiastic about cow's milk and believe that non-dairy substitutes such as soya milk are better for many people.’
- ‘It is found in hard cheeses such as Cheddar, American, and Swiss, and it is a common additive in many non-dairy products.’
- ‘While there are non-dairy yogurts made from soy currently on the market, this is the first dairy yogurt to have added soy protein.’
- ‘Magnesium is found in meat, fish, nuts, black beans and molasses, while non-dairy sources of calcium include green leafy vegetables, tofu, salmon and sardines, especially with the bones.’
- ‘This non-dairy whip icing has a ‘fresh picked’ strawberry flavor, silky texture and delicate, pink color that's perfect for any dessert.’
- ‘He used his winnings to buy every American a scoop of non-dairy ice cream.’
- ‘She sprinkled a teaspoonful of powdered non-dairy creamer into the coffee and watched the crystals explode into tiny pale swirls.’
- ‘Finally, outside of the dairy product sector, there is a growing use of dairy-based ingredients used to fortify non-dairy foods.’
- ‘The company launched Coffee Rich non-dairy creamer in the 1960s.’
- ‘They should eat non-dairy butter and cream, and use soya-milk.’
- ‘The non-dairy alternatives at the time were virtually tasteless, so I reluctantly resigned myself to living without cheese.’
- ‘Many drivers also carry a variety of non-dairy products, turning their truck into a traveling grocery store.’
- ‘If you're looking for a non-dairy smoothie, soy or rice milk can be substituted for the cow's milk, and sorbet can be substituted for the yogurt.’
- ‘Eat foods that are low in fat and calories, making more selections from vegetables, fruits, whole-grains and low-fat or non-dairy products.’
- ‘A variety of non-dairy milks, like soy, nut and rice, easily replace the real thing; look to the soy version of margarine, sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt to substitute for other dairy ingredients.’
- ‘While processors long have been sensitive about the use of the term ‘milk’ to describe a non-dairy beverage, a growing number of dairies have jumped on the soy bandwagon.’
- ‘The link can't yet be explained, and the intake of calcium (whether from milk or non-dairy products) was not connected to Parkinson's disease.’
- ‘In addition, Saputo operates a distribution network in Canada through which the company markets a broad assortment of imported cheeses and non-dairy products to complement its cheese offerings.’
- ‘In addition, he points out, simply adding extra calcium through supplements or non-dairy products may not solve the problem.’
- ‘Ask for milk with your tea and many establishments will send out small non-dairy creamers along with the lemon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.