One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an officer in the army, navy, or air force) not holding a rank conferred by a commission.
- ‘One of the most important distinctions is the difference between commissioned and non-commissioned officers.’
- ‘I understand that although he was a non-commissioned officer in the army he was held in high regard.’
- ‘The Armed Forces Special Powers Act allows not just officers, but even junior commissioned officers and non-commissioned officers of the army, to use force and even kill any person on suspicion of disturbing public order.’
- ‘That will have particular relevance for senior non-commissioned officers and field grade officers.’
- ‘Because of the increased number of volunteer soldiers, the ministry will phase out recruitment of non-commissioned officers, including air force and army sergeants and naval petty officers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.