One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an officer in the army, navy, or air force) not holding a rank conferred by a commission.
- ‘One of the most important distinctions is the difference between commissioned and non-commissioned officers.’
- ‘That will have particular relevance for senior non-commissioned officers and field grade officers.’
- ‘I understand that although he was a non-commissioned officer in the army he was held in high regard.’
- ‘Because of the increased number of volunteer soldiers, the ministry will phase out recruitment of non-commissioned officers, including air force and army sergeants and naval petty officers.’
- ‘The Armed Forces Special Powers Act allows not just officers, but even junior commissioned officers and non-commissioned officers of the army, to use force and even kill any person on suspicion of disturbing public order.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.