One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Made of material that does not burn if exposed to fire; incombustible.
non-flammable, not inflammable, unburnableView synonyms
- ‘One of the most important things you can do to protect your home is to create a non-combustible zone around it, extending out for at least 30 feet in all directions.’
- ‘Made of an inert mineral fiber, the embers are non-combustible and non-toxic, so they are safe for handling.’
- ‘I rang a gas fire manufacturer who told me that under no circumstances should any gas fire be fitted to anything other than a non-combustible material.’
- ‘Make sure you mount candles on non-combustible holders that won't tip over and are big enough to collect dripping wax.’
- ‘The ceiling is constructed of non-combustible material.’
- ‘You can reduce the risk of loss by building with approved non-combustible or fire-resistant materials.’
- ‘Use of coffee pots and similar items in the immediate work area should be placed out of normal walk areas and on a noncombustible surface.’
- ‘There is no such thing as a non-combustible polystyrene.’
- ‘People unfamiliar with fire retardants are surprised to hear that wood or fabric can qualify as a non-combustible material to a certain degree.’
- ‘Firefighters dig a moat to isolate the burning coal and then fill the trench with noncombustible material, such as rock.’
- ‘Nitrogen has the additional benefit of being non-combustible.’
- ‘For rooms where fires are a possible concern, you can get ceilings made of mineral fiber, which is noncombustible.’
- ‘In urban areas, structures must be built of non-combustible materials, which is standard practice today.’
- ‘Where smoking is permitted is there an abundant supply of non-combustible receptacles for cigarette ends as distinct from containers for waste?’
- ‘Mineral wool insulation is noncombustible, withstanding temperatures greater than 1,800 degrees, and acts as a fire barrier, which can slow a house fire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.