Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not containing or involving the use of artificial chemicals:‘non-chemical forms of weed and pest control’‘non-chemical sunblocks like zinc oxide’
pesticide-free, additive-free, chemical-free, non-chemical, naturalView synonyms
- ‘Our program is investigating non-chemical methods of controlling common crop pests in these areas.’
- ‘This non-chemical pesticide is essential to organic and conventional farmers throughout the country.’
- ‘Scientists in Nova Scotia, partly because of their agricultural background, also tended to doubt the efficacy of spraying, preferring non-chemical approaches to insect control.’
- ‘Yoga and meditation have become popular in today's culture as healthy, non-chemical alternatives to drugs.’
- ‘Sixty-eight per cent of the total agricultural land available in India is believed to be under de facto non-chemical farming.’
- ‘To keep his milk house clean, he uses hydrogen peroxide and an organic non-chemical cleaner.’
- ‘Use non-chemical pest control strategies where possible.’
- ‘Vegetarianism, frequently a part of the Back to Land movement, recognized that the best tasting, highest quality food was grown in a natural, non-chemical environment.’
- ‘More money would help agencies such as the World Health Organisation to expand the use of non-chemical measures against malaria.’
- ‘At least one company says that it offers a non-chemical program for all aspects of cooling tower water treatment.’
- ‘Cosmetics-wise, you can purchase anything from herbal toothpaste to non-chemical hair dye.’
- ‘A very good non-chemical way of fighting depression is exercise.’
- ‘When making stamps at home, a chemical or non-chemical process can be used.’
- ‘All cancer research scientists should also have to spend a major part of their time on non-chemical, non-genetic treatments or environmental causes of cancer.’
- ‘Much of the interest in the U. S. and elsewhere is beginning to focus on low-input or non-chemical farming systems.’
- ‘He teaches classes in meditation as a technique for the non-chemical control of chronic pain.’
- ‘The course examines the specifics of weed management and related control strategies, including non-chemical methods.’
- ‘Effective non-chemical remedies include the essential oils from plants such as lemongrass, eucalyptus, cypress, lavender, rosemary and thyme.’
- ‘Listed below are some of the non-chemical straighteners that I am currently aware of for naturally curly hair.’
- ‘These microbes are the key to non-chemical methods of turf maintenance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.