One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an offence) not punishable by death.
- ‘The military commission is confirmed as having authority to try even the most serious non-capital offenses with trial panels of only three officers.’
- ‘Last week, it was announced that he and five of the policemen involved will be charged for non-capital murder tomorrow.’
- ‘In early 1995, the offence of which the author was convicted was classified as non-capital murder, and his death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment on 16 March 1995.’
- ‘He will face non-capital charges before a general court-martial at Travis Air Force Base in California, according to the Air Force.’
- ‘This morning I heard on the news that Adams and five other officers will be charged with non-capital murder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.