One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not involving or derived from biology or living organisms.
- ‘Phase changes are fundamental to many biological and non-biological processes on the Earth and in the universe in general.’
- ‘The criteria for scoring have been standardized in order to minimize non-biological variation and to allow comparison between laboratories.’
- ‘But combining biological and non-biological materials in one device has stymied researchers in the past.’
- ‘Most importantly, we'll be able to enhance our biological intelligence with non-biological intelligence through intimate connections.’
- ‘What it will say is that it has developed a way of replicating viral antibodies using non-biological means, specifically ‘computer and microelectronics technology’.’
- ‘Similarly, non-biological entities such as expert systems, computer viruses or artificial intelligence could conceivably by considered to be ‘alive’.’
- ‘Other scientists claimed, however, that the ‘fossils’ were formed by non-biological processes.’
- ‘A notorious example was the alleged life in the Martian meteorite, now almost universally discredited as being of non-biological origin.’
- ‘The tendency to conceptualise medical problems in biological terms is powerful, and medical practitioners are often reluctant to explore the non-biological aspects of a patient's case.’
- ‘If we do, the amino acids could be non-biological.’
- ‘How does non-biological evolution differ from biological evolution?’
- ‘Natalie and David Dexter are non-biological siblings living in a southern English town, adopted at different ages by Lynne and Ralph during the 1960s.’
- ‘In an interview, Michael Mumma said that much of the methane in Earth's atmosphere is the result of biological processes, although some can be traced to non-biological activities, such as geochemistry.’
- ‘Basically, from what I'm gathering from this article, its about how complex biological (and even non-biological systems) spontaneously act in unison.’
- ‘The experiments show that a non-biological source of hydrocarbons may lie in Earth's mantle and was created from reactions between water and rock - not just from the decomposition of living organisms.’
- ‘The combination of the software of biological human intelligence with the benefits of non-biological intelligence will be very formidable.’
- ‘Experimental work in non-biological systems has demonstrated that vortex trails shed by upstream bodies can intercept and affect the strength of developing vortices generated by bodies downstream.’
- ‘The vulnerability of biodiversity components due to both biological and non-biological features must be taken into account.’
- ‘Perhaps it is possible that a sufficiently complex, intricately connected non-biological entity or system could become conscious and self-aware.’
- ‘Are there non-biological ways to alter the biochemistry of the brain?’
- ‘If they truly believe there is nothing unnatural about such behavior they will have to argue their case based on non-biological factors.’
- 1.1 (of a detergent) not containing enzymes.
- ‘Another tip: use a non-biological washing powder and a gentle, neutral pH soap, as both can irritate the skin and cause itching at night.’
- ‘Wash your underwear with non-biological washing powder and make sure all the detergent is rinsed out before wearing.’
- ‘Cloth nappies should be washed using a non-biological washing powder, using an extra rinse where possible.’
- ‘This is the individual product, with its core, secondary, and augmented elements (e.g. a 1 litre bottle of non-biological washing powder).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.