Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a device) operated by human control, rather than automatically or electronically.‘the level crossing is a non-automatic, fully gated type’
hand-operated, hand, non-automaticView synonyms
- ‘If it were up to me, mathematics, cold-calling, my daughter's current headmistress and non-automatic cars would be outlawed entirely.’
- ‘The side entrance, where you can easily leave a car while you go fetch your luggage, involves a long, narrow corridor with non-automatic doors and stairs.’
- ‘Pistols are not covered in the agreement and neither are non-automatic, long-barrelled weapons such as a shotgun or a hunting rifle.’
- ‘Here we tackle our first non-automatic locks (with strong-arm tactics) and cruise upstream between banks of willow herb, yellow water lilies and ragwort.’
- ‘The commissioner's office issues licenses for certain specified non-automatic guns.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.