Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not able to be attributed to a particular source or cause.‘non-attributable informants let it be known that the minister had been rebuked in cabinet’
- ‘The non-attributable pressure loss at the seams degrades flow calculations.’
- ‘What I don't understand is why these file deletions are non-attributable?’
- ‘To accomplish this, the author has relied on open and non-attributable sources, because most intelligence services refused to comment for the record.’
- ‘If so, is there a decrease in those with general non-attributable retardation?’
- ‘Alexander had escaped the media attention so the same friends, briefing on a non-attributable basis, insisted the time had been right for her to step out of the political spotlight.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.