Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Failure to appear or be present, especially at a gathering or engagement or in a court of law.‘insure against everything from salmonella poisoning to a speaker's non-appearance’
non-attendance, absenteeismView synonyms
- ‘Mr Woodward's reason for non-appearance on the day the case was due to start was, to my mind, inadequate and remains inadequate.’
- ‘Visitation centre workers' complaints about cancelled visits or non-appearance were conveyed to Mr. Lee.’
- ‘Other Fringe directors agreed that Lowe's non-appearance was damaging.’
- ‘The reason for the non-appearance of the applicants appears in an affidavit which has been filed in this Court.’
- ‘League secretary Bob Shackleton was mystified by the player's non-appearance.’
- ‘He didn't go so far as to blame their non-appearance on begrudgery, but he didn't have to.’
- ‘This fact did not prevent the Evening Times on Wednesday giving over the majority of their back page to the 22-year-old's non-appearance in the Scottish Cup final.’
- ‘Obviously upset at the last minute non-appearance of Gantley, Galway looked to be in total disarray in the opening sequences watched by an attendance of 8,321.’
- ‘He said by his non-appearance, he meant no disrespect to the court and does not know what his next move would be, since the time limit for filing charges against Rowley has expired.’
- ‘The five judges of the South Jakarta District Court used Suharto's third non-appearance last week to throw out the indictment.’
- ‘Later, he went to the emergency room after he said he fell, and he was forced to rush back to court wearing pyjama bottoms when the judge threatened to have him arrested for non-appearance.’
- ‘Also, his non-appearance in the 200m final, followed by talk of his participation in the lucrative Golden League meet in Brussels a week later, raised doubts about the slight hamstring injury he is reported to have sustained.’
- ‘Combined with Hyypia's non-appearance in the second half, it was just the tonic United needed to rouse themselves, and they emerged in the second half with a point to prove and three to earn.’
- ‘After his reply to Mrs. Pagnel's letter following Aunty Linda's funeral, and his non-appearance at that event, I just assumed I would never see my father again.’
- ‘Cancellation of an event and non-appearance of performers or abandonment are the main risk factors.’
- ‘He was therefore taken by surprise at the non-appearance of his legal representation and had no opportunity to either obtain alternative legal representation or to conduct his own case after preparation.’
- ‘Hugo Duncan extends his apologies to all his fans for his non-appearance at The Lord Bagenal Inn on Wednesday, August 10 due to having missed a ferry connection on return to Ireland from his English tour.’
- ‘He said his non-appearance at the tribunal in July was due to a misunderstanding.’
- ‘However a significant number of cases had to be adjourned because of the non-appearance of defendants.’
- ‘His helpers, wearing bright yellow jackets, tinsel and antlers, carried on through the streets of Welling as best they could but onlookers could not help but be disappointed at his non-appearance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.