Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not part of an alliance; neutral.‘he worked long and hard to be a non-allied moderator’
unaligned, non-aligned, unaffiliated, unallied, non-allied, non-participating, uninvolved, non-interventionistView synonyms
- ‘Fares on transatlantic journeys involving several legs were between 18 per cent and 28 per cent cheaper using allied rather than non-allied airlines.’
- ‘This is a breakthrough in the policies of both nations, who are cooperating for the first time with the military forces of a non-allied nation.’
- ‘In some instances, there may be a reason to alert non-allied countries to a potential threat if it would deter them from procuring contaminated equipment.’
- ‘Who knows how many other forgotten treasures are mouldering in the vaults of non-allied nations?’
- ‘NATO members, as well as neutral and non-allied members of the EU, can participate fully and on an equal footing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.