One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the study or discovery of general scientific laws.Often contrasted with idiographic
- ‘Hence, given that historians make such claims ‘it behooves them to make sure that the cited nomothetic principles have an empirical foundation’.’
- ‘To achieve scientific, nomothetic goals in the information disciplines, we should focus on the technological, demographic, environmental and economic conditions that motivate and constrain people operating in social groups.’
- ‘Existentialism, in its broadest terms, is both idiographic and nomothetic - it is about personal will and humanity.’
- ‘The clinical ramifications of this entire exercise should be placed within a context that includes both nomothetic and ideographic dimensions.’
- ‘When combined with data from records and interviews, nomothetic information from sound psychological tests increases the chances of convergent validity and decreases the possibility of error.’
Mid 17th century: from obsolete nomothete ‘legislator’ (from Greek nomothetēs) + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.