One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level of noise produced by something, especially when this is harmful or annoying.‘as a high-speed rail train passes, the noise level will reach 100 decibels’
- ‘Assessors have come round to measure our noise level with decibel meters.’
- ‘Noise levels are low, making the car relaxing to drive.’
- ‘Club bosses have already turned the volume down and assured residents they would monitor noise levels.’
- ‘The noise level must have been deafening.’
- ‘Noise levels around work stations are kept relatively low.’
- ‘They had received a complaint about the noise level and came out to investigate it.’
- ‘Noise levels increase proportionately with increasing fan speeds.’
- ‘There is a definite difference in noise levels between the three settings.’
- ‘Some adults might find the noise levels too much.’
- ‘The children's excitement made it difficult for their teachers to keep the noise levels down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.